Wednesday, April 23, 2008

RSS

RSS and newsreaders in principle and appearance reminds me of the little ticker bar that you see when you watch the morning news. Whether it is listings of stock prices, or current and breaking events, delivering information in snippets and byte size scrolls, is convenient and efficient. I like the ability to be able to be kept informed, in the know, on the go, and that’s exactly how I view the function of RSS.

I often find myself dedicated to certain websites. As such, I would occasionally check the site for the latest news and updates. I remember the days when I would have to refresh the page continually to see what was being served up next. With the RSS/newsreaders I get the same advantages of a news ticker without the fuss of having to check multiple sites. It’s even easier using software these days to manage and integrate all your favourite sites that enable a RSS feed.

For this part of the learning course, I used a plug-in for Mozilla Firefox that delivers the RSS feed under the status bar of my browser.

Sites that I subscribed to primarily technology, music and news sites. In our workplace, RSS would be a versatile Tool to broadcast updates on what current events that are occurring at our library. It would also provide a greater reach of target audience,and provide a source to be more appealing to library patrons from all walks of life.

No comments: